Lowes Cruiser Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lowes Cruiser Talk

Local Car Cruise Location in Abingdon MD.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Driving Any Type Antique/Historic/Street Rod onto APG

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rick o

Driving Any Type Antique/Historic/Street Rod onto APG Empty
PostSubject: Driving Any Type Antique/Historic/Street Rod onto APG   Driving Any Type Antique/Historic/Street Rod onto APG Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 3:38 pm

I got a call at my office today from a buddy that witnessed a historic tagged camaro being not only stopped at the Rt.715 gate, but being given the riot act.
My friend upon being next inline to this guard asked him what the problem was, and was told in no uncertain terms that he could have written a ticket for this vehicle.
Their attitude it seems is that any type of antique/historic/street rod, ect tagged vehicle cannot be a daily driver, but it seems they are saying if they see you driving it again you will be cited regardless.

I called the chief of police at APG and expressed this scenario:
I live in Pa. 48 miles from APG, so if I want to enjoy the Lowes cruise in on a friday night, I drive this car to
work, and go directly to Lowes from the workplace. Ok.
Now lets say on the same week I decide I would like to go, I think on wednesday evenings, to the Sunshine Grille cruise in down in Fork. Same thing, why should I drive after work all the way back home 48 miles each way, pick up either one of my camaros, and drive back to Md. I just drive it to work on these "special event" days, and go about my business since this isn't a daily driver activity, and summer is winding down fast.

I expressed this very professionally, and politely to the chief here at APG, and he said he will look into it.

We do have several people driving said tagged vehicles onto post, and I do like to drive the '81 camaro about one day every month or so to work. Also, some areas/clubs have drive your hot rod to work week. This type of action at APG would negate that. I'll let you all know what I found out.

I was told it was a blue camaro that drove in this morning tuesday aug. 11, 2009.
I would love to hear from that person in what was really said to him.

Hopefully we can get a decent answer, and action on this, and not a "total overkill" on our prized cruisers, and deciding to drive them to work "On Occassion". One comment given to me by police here stated you drive them only on weekends, and/or parades/special events period.
I told him to worry about security, and terrorists, and such, and mind his own business. He got alittly upset'
Oh well if ya can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

I'll keep all informed, and hopefully nobody will be harassed, or upset, and a better understanding will be had by especially the guard force here at APG.

Sea ya all,
Rick O.
Back to top Go down
showgoat67

showgoat67

PostSubject: reply   Driving Any Type Antique/Historic/Street Rod onto APG Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 4:24 pm

Wow some of these police or guards really need a reality check.What the hell does it matter to him that the person wanted to drive their hot rod to work and such.Seems jealous to me that he dont have one and wants to be a ass to others.Good luck with the fight on that one.
Back to top Go down
rick o

PostSubject: Driving onto APG   Driving Any Type Antique/Historic/Street Rod onto APG Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 10:38 pm

I have to clarify in what the APG police force, or what some of them are saying.
If you drive an antique tagged, or historic/street rod vehicle lets say tomorrow, they confront you pretty strongly (I haven't myself been delt with yet, but I sorta cut them off if they start reading me the riot act).
Anyway, getting back to what seems to be taking place is you drive in tomorrow morning with you special car, and they give you the riot act, and you don't drive it again until next month. Then all hell breaks loose it seems for they remember you, and consider that once a month drive to work makes this your daily driver. Bull shit.
I drive mine about once a month to work just to keep the battery up, fluids, and all the gaskets, and such from drying out, ect.

I haven't heard back from the police chief yet, but he seemed like a pleasant guy, and said he would research this.
Problem is that most of the old laws pertaining to specially tagged vehicles are still on the books as written back in the 60's and earlier.

Again, I would love to talk to this fella with said camaro that got the shakedown this morning just to see what exactly transpired.

Hey, great looking GTO!

Rick O.
Back to top Go down
showgoat67

showgoat67

PostSubject: Re: Driving Any Type Antique/Historic/Street Rod onto APG   Driving Any Type Antique/Historic/Street Rod onto APG Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 1:22 pm

Thanks for the compliment if your at lowes friday stop over and say hi so we can meet in person.I will be with my gto.

kenny
Back to top Go down
rick o

PostSubject: Friday Night   Driving Any Type Antique/Historic/Street Rod onto APG Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 9:10 pm

I am going to try to make it to Lowes friday night. Every other friday I have off unless I decide to work, and it's all overtime, so I actually shouldn't turn it down, but my mental well being needs to play sometime (I never grew up).

If at Lowes I will definetely look you up, and if this is the GTO that I think it is, doesn't your wife have a great looking vintage Cuda, orange I think?

Look for a grey '81 pro stock looking camaro. I am usually around Rick Eckenrode. Hopefully I can make it, but like I say it is about a 45 mile drive each way for me from Red Lion, Pa.. The Markets at Shrewsbury are only about 10 minutes from me, and that is coming up the last friday of the month. Only problem there is that if you arrive after even lets say 3:30, and the weather is good, you may be on the hill. Still great food, and alot of cars, and then you have the crafts, and furniture of the Amish. Pricey, but something different to look at, and nice too.

Where is the summer going? It will be labor day before we know it.

Rick O
Back to top Go down
showgoat67

showgoat67

PostSubject: Re: Driving Any Type Antique/Historic/Street Rod onto APG   Driving Any Type Antique/Historic/Street Rod onto APG Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 10:51 am

Yes your correct my wife has the 71 orange cuda.We live in airville 7 miles before the md line off rt 74 by camp donegal so i know what you mean about the ride.It is 30 miles for us to go to lowes on friday's and shrewsbury is closer also but to crowded and we love to hang out with our buddies and all at lowes so we really never go to the shrewsbury cruise.Hope to see you there at lowes if no rain.

kenny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driving Any Type Antique/Historic/Street Rod onto APG   Driving Any Type Antique/Historic/Street Rod onto APG Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driving Any Type Antique/Historic/Street Rod onto APG
Page 1 of 1